In 2016, I wrote a post in which I kept track of the number of hours I spent doing research for my Ph.D. Since the end of the first quarter of 2017 is upon us, now seemed an appropriate time to do the same analysis for 2017 year-to-date. For information about what I mean when I say “doing research”, read last year’s post.

Below is a histogram of my daily hours since January 1, 2017. Histogram of Daily Hours

(One caveat: if I didn’t work on a particular day, it’s not included in this histogram.)

Looking at an average day (i.e., including days when I didn’t work), it appears I do pretty well Monday through Friday, but taper off quite dramatically once I hit the weekend. Average Hours, By Weekday

Looking on a weekly basis, research picked up after UNM’s winter break, and has held reasonably steady since then. This is a bit surprising, as I have been on travel to SQuInT 2017 and the APS March Meeting this year. I would have expected the numbers to either go up a lot (because there’s more time to do research-related activities) or drop substantially (because research didn’t happen).

Total Hours, by Week

If you are looking for science-related content to distract you from your work, you might like my Twitter feed.